Look & Feel
Quality & Durability
- Classy retro-style design
- Great movement for the price
- 42-hour power reserve
- Hard, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- Lacks a second hand, minimal inconvenience
- Strap length might be short for users with large wrists
The Hamilton Intra-Matic Silver Dial is a timepiece that many watch enthusiasts would love to get their hands on. It’s a classy watch that sports a timeless retro design - one that takes you back to the 60s but also with a contemporary feel to it.
True to Hamilton's motto, this is clearly a watch that combines the American spirit with Swiss precision and technology. Although it sacrifices some advanced features, it more than makes up for it in improved performance and build quality. It’s easy to see why the Hamilton Intra-Matic is regarded as a true dress watch for those that want to take their casual styling to a whole new level.
- 42-Hour Power Reserve – Keeping advanced functions and features to a minimum help reduce energy requirements. This watch sports a power reserve of 42-hours, which is average for an automatic mechanical watch.
- Sapphire Crystal – Sapphire is second only to diamond in hardness. This provides the display with toughness, scratch resistance, clarity, and a clean, polished look.
- Automatic Movement – Hamilton Intra-Matic (H38455751) saves you from the hassles of manual winding. Its automatic movement means less maintenance and accurate time keeping. But this is not your ordinary automatic movement, it’s an ETA 2892-A2, something that’s hard to get in a watch at this price range.
- 38mm Stainless Steel Case – The 38mm case is a good average size that, when combined with its thinner 10mm design, gives the watch a true dress watch look and feel.
- Lightweight Construction – No one wants a bulky, uncomfortable watch. This watch is built to be lightweight, weighing just 1.76 ounces. This makes it comfortable to wear all day, and you may even forget you’re wearing it.
Look & Feel: 4.2/5
The Hamilton Intra-Matic Silver Dial is generally not your go-to everyday watch. Rather, it’s a classic timepiece that’s got a Bauhaus (less is more) design to it. In my view, it makes a nice dress watch for those that love clean, classic elements.
The first thing that gets your attention is the elegance, toughness, and clarity of the sapphire crystal over the dial. This is a display that provides the convenience of excellent scratch resistance and an anti-glare view.
Another thing that adds to the uniqueness of this watch is the lack of a second hand. In my view, this is one of the features that make this watch stand out, though it might be a little inconvenient for those that want to read the time to the second. The simplicity of this timepiece becomes even more evident in its basic hand and stick hour markers. It creates a user-friendly display that’s much easier to read. With a date function window located at the six o’clock position, checking the date requires just a simple glance.
As pointed out earlier, the 38mm diameter stainless steel case is an average size - which earns it a spot in the world of true dress watches. It provides for a lighter wear and looks just right, even on those with slender wrists.
The Hamilton Intra-Matic ditches the metallic bracelet for a genuine diamond calf-leather strap designed to last. This 7.5-inch strap allows for some adjustment to fit those with a wrist size of up to 7 inches. In short, it fits anyone, unless you have a pretty large wrist. We also can't forget the textured look on the dial surface for some extra elegance.
Build Quality & Durability: 4.8/5
The construction and finish of the Hamilton Intra-Matic don’t disappoint, and it’s evident from the first time you lay your eyes on it. It’s a flawless, retro-style, classic watch and shows great attention to detail. This is a watch that combines Swiss technology and American quality to deliver a timepiece that has few imperfections.
Personally, I believe the price of this watch is quite reasonable. Especially when considering you will typically get an ETA 2824-2 movement for a watch in this price range. However, the Hamilton Intra-Matic gives you something special: an advanced ETA 2892-A2 movement normally found in more expensive watches. It’s no wonder that some may consider this watch as underpriced.
How Does It Compare?
Hamilton Intra-Matic PVD (H38735751)
This is another quality watch for those that desire a larger case diameter (42mm) that’s got a golden glow to it. But remember that you’ll pay slightly more for the size and aesthetics.
Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 (T0864071603100)
Featuring a slightly lower price tag, the Tissot Powermatic 80 is an ideal option for those that want to add a little more luxury to their casual wear. This watch gives something extra: a second hand and a larger case diameter (41mm). It’s available at a price that's quite a bit lower compared to that of our Hamilton Intra-Matic (H38455751).
Hamilton American Classic (H38755751)
To the untrained eye, this watch looks like a duplicate of the Hamilton Intra-Matic (H38455751) reviewed above. However, it packs more in terms of weight and case diameter. The 42mm case makes it a nice option for those that want a slightly larger classic watch. This timepiece is designed to be glossier, something that makes it perfect for showing off. It’s available at a price that's slightly higher than that of Hamilton Intra-Matic Silver Dial.